Tuesday, August 27, 2013

City of Champions

It's been a very long time since I actually signed myself up for a local road race but I'm way under-raced again this year and the 1st Annual Level Renner 10k sounded like fun. I hooked up with Jim and Krissy for the ride down and we warmed up on the big loop of the course with another CMS member, Scott Deslongchamps. The field looked really quick up front so the big questions were whether or not we had the horses for a team win and whether or not I could be in the mix for the masters win. The course would have two loops, one small loop with tower hill twice, and then a longer loop with tower hill right at the finish. I kind of knew in the back of my head that the last climb was probably going to be not so good. The gun goes off and right away Jim and I hook up side by side and we are both going to be in it for the long hall. The pace felt a bit quick early but we both grinded the first loop out and headed out for the bigger of the two loops. We went back and forth with each other but I don't think either of us were willing to make a break. It would have made for a real lonely run back in. We took the last real sharp turn back up into the hill and I was pretty much toast and babbled something to Jim to go ahead. I tried to just use him to get up over the climb and finish up. Turns out we had enough horses for the team win and I took the masters win which was nice. It's been a real long time since that has happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment